1.19.2006

recipe for success

So I’m watching MTV2 the other day (the only MTV station that actually earns the right to be called Music Television), and to my surprise, I found myself almost falling asleep – a hard thing to make happen. Now maybe this is because I’m not a teenybopper or, maybe it’s because I felt like I was watching a one-hour long video. There seems to be no individuality with pop songs. You can’t tell when one ends and another begins. I guess the pop industry likes to stick with what sells. It seems there’s this pop star cookie cutter recipe that the powers that be do not like to stray from.

1-cup long blonde hair
2/3 Tsp. standard “I love you” lyrics
Whole lotta Bling
Bitches and hoes (recommended)
3-cups fabulous ass and/or abs
Dash of talent (optional)

Upon studying my notes, I found that there are only two variations of pop videos.

1. The female video where the girl sings about finally being free from her bad boyfriend. She’s ready to take on the world and prove, once again, that She Will Survive! She appeals to the recently dumped while subliminally asking her impressionable audience “look how beautiful, rich, sexy and svelte I am! Don’t Cha wanna be me?”

2. The male video where the guy has a few gold teeth and lots of heavy bling around his neck. He’s leaning against his Bentley while scantily clad women feed him grapes. He’s saying, “Look how rich I am! Look how many girls in bikinis want to dance with me, look at all the cars I own! Hey kids, you can have all this too – or you can die tryin.”

Now I’m not talking about these messages influencing kids to make bad choices. I believe that people (kids included) are plenty capable of making up their own minds. But even the most secure and successful person in the world can’t help feeling a tad bit jealous. But jealous of what? Well there is the obvious (see above). But what makes them so special? Long hours in the gym (or with a personal trainer and chef)? Long hours at the salon? Long hours in singing and dancing class? Is it all worth it for a few months of fleeting fame and nice bank account? I say…Yes, yes it is. Screw those bastards!

2 Comments:

At 6:22 PM , Blogger Auntslappy said...

Amen sister!

 
At 6:22 PM , Blogger Auntslappy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home